Автор Тема: Let's enjoy some of the English idioms!  (Прочитано 177710 раз)

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
Re: Let's enjoy some of the English idioms!
« Ответ #252 : 18 октября 2016, 20:13:06 »
Green, Pink, Purple

have a green thumb
Fig. to have the ability to grow plants well.
Just look at Mr. Simpson's garden. He has a green thumb. My mother has a green thumb when it comes to houseplants.

green with envy
wishing very much that you had what someone else has
Sharon's going off to the south of France for three weeks and we're all green with envy.

Long green
Money, especially a large amount of it.
 How much long green is this repair job going to cost me?

tickled pink
 very much pleased or entertained.
 I was tickled pink to have you visit us. We were tickled pink when your flowers arrived.

a pink slip
a letter from your employer which tells you that you do not have a job any more
 It was Christmas time when Miller got his pink slip from the company.

be in the pink  (old-fashioned)
to be very healthy
 I wasn't well last week, but I'm back in the pink, I'm pleased to say.

purple state
In U.S. general elections, a state that votes in roughly equal proportion for candidates of both the Democratic and Republican Parties.
Primarily heard in US. Whoever is going to win the election will have to focus their power on swinging the purple states of the country in their favour.

born to the purple
Born into royalty. Purple is a colour traditionally associated with royalty.
Did you see pictures of the latest addition to the royal family? What a sweet little princess born to the purple!

purple prose
writing that is more complicated and formal than necessary
 Despite occasional passages of purple prose, her latest novel is still very readable.

Оффлайн Andrei1

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #251 : 18 октября 2016, 10:41:12 »
Очень полезная и простая идиома "have it out".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unTotHZj_2U

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #250 : 16 октября 2016, 12:48:30 »
Red, Blue, Yellow

as red as a ruby
deep red
The office assistant was wearing lipstick that was as red as a ruby.

catch (someone) red-handed
- to catch someone in the middle of doing something wrong
The woman was caught red-handed when she tried to steal some cosmetics.

paint the town red
to go out and party and have a good time
When my cousin came to visit us we decided to go out and paint the town red.

red herring
an unimportant matter that draws attention away from the main subject
Talking about the other issue was a red herring that did not do anything to deal with today's problem.

roll out the red carpet
- to greet a person with great respect, to give a big welcome to someone
The government rolled out the red carpet when the politician came to visit.

see red
- to become very angry
My boss saw red when I told him that I would not be coming to work today.

blue blood
- the blood of a noble or wealthy or aristocratic family
Many of the blue bloods of the town went to the opening of the opera.

blue-ribbon
- of superior quality or distinction, the best of a group
A blue-ribbon panel of experts were asked to suggest a new policy for the city.

get the blues
- to become sad or depressed
The dull cloudy weather has caused me to get the blues.

out of the blue
- without warning, happening suddenly and unexpectedly
 The decision to close the store came out of the blue.

talk a blue streak
- to talk very much and very rapidly
The woman beside me on the bus talked a blue streak for most of the journey.

yellow-bellied
 extremely timid, cowardly
The man is yellow-bellied and is never willing to fight for what is right.

yellow brick road
A path believed to lead to success or adventure.
Jenna took the internship thinking that it would be the yellow brick road to her dream job.

yellow dog
A despicable person or thing.
I can't believe you get so invested in these debates—all politicians are yellow dogs that can't be trusted.

yellow light
An indication to slow down, likened to a yellow traffic light, which means slow down, proceed with caution, or prepare to stop.
 I would not ask her out yet, dude—she was totally giving you the yellow light.

yellow press
Journalism with the primary aim of sparking reader interest—reporting the facts are secondary.
 I can't believe you read those tabloids—they're just yellow press stuffed with ads.

Оффлайн Andrei1

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #249 : 15 октября 2016, 14:08:51 »
Some interesting idioms:

Below the salt
If someone is below the salt, they have a low social position. Salt was expensive in medieval times and only placed on the high table where the wealthy and powerful ate.

Bust a move
It can mean to break out a dance move or to get a move on, hurry up.

Spoon-fed
If you are spoon-fed, you are given so much information that you don't have to try to find out the answers yourself.

On edge
If someone is worried or nervous, they are on edge.

Оффлайн Кристюшa

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #248 : 14 октября 2016, 12:23:26 »

Idioms from Recreation

A Person on theBall

We always knew what our boss, Winona, was thinking.
Right off the bat, as soon as she walked through the door,she'd let you know what she wanted you to do. Her stylewas clear, direct, and open. She always put her cards onthe table.
If you did something wrong or said somethinginappropriate, Winona told you that you were off base. Ifshe thought you were doing well and on the ball, she told you that, too. And when she said no, she meant no. No dice. Not many people argued with Winona and won. But I think she really enjoyed people who would stand up to herand give their own opinions. I think she secretly got a kick out of it.

1. Right off the bat is an idiom from baseball, in which aplayer hits a ball with a bat. If you do something right off the
bat, when do you do it?
2. If you are on the ball, do you do things well?
3. If you get a kick out of something, do you enjoy it? What things do you get a kick out of?

Meanings

Each example has an idiom with a word from a recreation or sport.Read the example carefully to find the meaning of the idiom. Then look at the definitions that follow the examples. Write the idiom next
to its definition.

to get a kick out
I really get a kick out of Lisa's jokes. She always makes me
of something laugh.

to go fly a kite
I'm tired of listening to you complain. Stop bothering me. Why
don't you just go fly a kite?

a good sport
I beat Albert five times at video games today, but he's such a good sport that he bought us a pizza afterward.

in the same boat
Now that we're both out of work, we're in the same boat.

to keep the
Let's keep the ball rolling. We're off to a good start, but we ball rolling still need to collect more money to get videotape machines for our school.
no dice
Tom wanted the party to be at my apartment, but I said no dice.

off base
You're off base with that answer. Try again.

on the ball
Sophie is an excellent manager. She really knows how to organizethings and get things done. She is really on the ball.

to put one's cards
Let me put my cards on the table. Either we sell more or on the table we'll have to close the business.

right off the bat
Una looked at the math problem for just a minute, and she got the correct answer right off the bat.

sink or swim
We're going to do our best to start our own restaurant, sink or swim.

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #247 : 13 октября 2016, 10:07:48 »
Dog

A barking dog never bites
Making threats but not carrying them out.
 a candidate for local political office went from door to door to solicit votes. Ringing a doorbell, he was greeted by a woman restraining a large dog that was barking loudly. When the candidate hesitated, his assistant encouraged him to stay, saying, “Don't you know the proverb ‘a barking dog never bites'?” “Yes,” said the candidate, “I know the proverb, and you know the proverb, but does the dog know the proverb?” (Barking dogs figure in another phrase: “My dogs are barking” means that my feet hurt.)

a dog's age
An exceptionally long period of time.
 It's been a dog's age since I worked one of these machines, but I'll give it a shot!

as sick as a dog
very ill
She was as sick as a dog after eating the stew.

cat-and-dog life
Of spouses or romantic partners, a life together typified by arguments, fights, and disagreements.
They were so happy together when they first started dating, but after 10 years together, they've started leading a cat-and-dog life.

not my dog
 It’s not my problem.
 So what! It doesn’t matter! Not my dog.

have a dog in the hunt

To have some vested interest in or something to gain by a given situation.
 Many small business owners—whether they know it or not—have a dog in the hunt with this proposed tax bill.

make a dog's dinner (of something)
To make a mess of or completely ruin something.
 I thought I could trust Jim to finish the business proposal, but he made a dog's dinner of the whole thing!

dog eat dog
if a situation is dog eat dog, people will do anything to be successful, even if what they do harms other people
In showbusiness it's dog eat dog - one day you're a star, the next you've been replaced by younger talent.

the top dog 
(informal)
the most important and powerful person in a group Jackson was top dog and he made sure he got what he wanted.

sly dog
Someone who, through cunning, devious, or dishonest means, achieves a fortuitous outcome.
What a sly dog, he managed to get a copy of the test so he could memorize the answers ahead of time!

Оффлайн Ксюша

• Ветеран
  • просто я твой 'чечек"
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #246 : 11 октября 2016, 16:03:46 »
Maria A. , I'm in the red when pupils don't do their homework! protest

Оффлайн Arsenovna

• Ветеран
  • Die Welt gehört demjenigen, der sich darüber freut
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #245 : 11 октября 2016, 15:35:12 »

Idioms from Colors

In the Red

The letter came out of the blue! I wasn't expecting it.
But there it was in black and white, signed by the bank manager. I had no money in my checking account. I was in
the red
.I couldn't believe it. So I went to see the manager. We looked at the problem together. The bank had made a
mistake. It had put ten dollars into my account instead of one thousand dollars!
Because it was the bank's mistake, there was no delayreopening my account. The manager cut through all the red
tape
. Now I had money in my account. And I had the green light to write checks again.

1. Does in the red mean to have enough money or to not haveenough money? When a company is in the red, is it in trouble?
2. When you learn something out of the blue, is it a surprise?
3. If doing something takes a lot of red tape, is it easy to do?
Sometimes getting papers from the government takes a lot of red tape. Can you think of some examples of things that take red tape?

Онлайн Spirit of Finland

• Глобальный модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Удача сопутствует смелым!
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #244 : 11 октября 2016, 13:59:32 »
Cat

Ути, какая ты щекастенькая и глазастенькая! Так и хочется забрать такое чудо с собой)))

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #243 : 10 октября 2016, 20:58:02 »
Break

break of day
The first sign of daylight; dawn. The party went on until the break of day

break a habit

to end a habit. I was not able to break the habit of snoring. It's hard to break a habit that you have had for a long time.

break even
for income to equal expenses. (This implies that money was not made or lost.)
Unfortunately, my business just managed to break even last year. I made a bad investment, but I broke even.

break someone's heart
 to cause someone great emotional pain.
 Sally broke John's heart when she refused to marry him.

break out in a cold sweat
to become extremely frightened or anxious.
Larry broke out in a cold sweat after he had cut his hand.

break one's word
Violate or fail to observe a promise or contract one has made.
 For example, You can trust him implicitly; I've never known him to break his word.

Break Step
to break from conformity with a larger group or others who one previously agreed with.
The eminent scientist broke step with the research team by suggesting an entirely different conclusion about the data.

break the ice
to attempt to become friends with someone.
He tried to break the ice, but she was a little cold. A nice smile does a lot to break the ice.

break the mould
to do something differently, after it has been done in the same way for a long time She broke the mould by insisting on becoming a doctor instead of a nurse. (often + of ) A new TV show is about to be launched which aims to break the mold of the usual daytime programs.

break a leg
to wish Good luck to someone
"Break a leg!" the director called to the lead actor.

a clean break
if you make a clean break from someone or something, you leave them quickly and completely, and are not involved with them at all in the future
The Japanese are planning a clean break from the old television technologies.

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #242 : 09 октября 2016, 15:19:38 »
Cat

a cat may look at a king
Everyone has rights, regardless of status, especially to do things that are of no consequence to others. You can't keep us out of the student council office just because we're underclassman! A cat may look at a king, after all!

a grin like a Cheshire cat
a very wide smile
I just presumed he'd got the job because he walked in here with a grin like a Cheshire cat

All cats are grey in the dark.
When in the dark, appearances are meaningless, since everything is hard to see or unseen. I don't care if my date is ugly. All cats are grey in the dark.

cat and mouse
A phrase used to describe the suspenseful relationship between one being pursued and the pursuer. We've been hiding out here for days, and I can't handle this cat and mouse game any longer—I'm calling the police!

rain cats and dogs
 to rain very hard. It's raining cats and dogs. Look at it pour! I'm not going out in that storm. It's raining cats and dogs.

cat ice
A thin sheet of ice under which water has already receded. Watch out for cat ice out there! It's pretty slippery, so take your time walking.

cool cat
 someone who is cool, usually a male. Monty is a cool cat. I really like him.

cat in the sack
A ruse, swindle, or suspicious transaction. In English, the more common phrase is "(to buy a) pig in the poke"
I thought I was getting a great deal buying my car from that online seller, but as soon as I drove it home, I realized I'd bought a cat in the sack.

bell the cat
To undertake or agree to perform a risky, dangerous, or impossible job or task. It comes from a fable (often and likely incorrectly attributed to Aesop) called "Belling the Cat," in which a group of mice decide that one will harness a bell to a murderous cat so that its jingle will warn them of its presence, though none want to take on the dangerous role. Someone has to bell the cat and tell the boss we aren't going to come in to work on Saturdays anymore. Who's going to bell the cat and tell mom we wrecked her car?

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #241 : 03 октября 2016, 20:36:19 »
Blood

blood brother
A boy or man who has sworn loyalty to another despite not being biologically related.
When Jake and Tim entered the battlefield, they became blood brothers, vowing to protect each other from harm's way.

make blood boil!   
If something makes your blood boil, it makes you really angry.
His condescending attitude made my blood boil!

make blood run cold   
If something makes your blood run cold, it shocks or scares you a lot.
The look in the prisoner's eyes made my blood run cold.

blood, sweat and tears   

A project or action which involves blood, sweat and tears requires a lot of effort and hard work.
His success wasn't due to luck;  it was blood, sweat and tears all the way.

bad blood (between people)

unpleasant feelings or animosity between people.
There is bad blood between Fred and Jim. They cannot be civil to one another. There is no bad blood between us. I don't know why we should quarrel.

Blood Money

Money gained at the expense/suffering of others.
 I don't want this blood money! My mother worked herself to death making it! Many people consider the profits from conflict diamonds to be blood money.

blue blood

the blood [heredity] of a noble family; aristocratic ancestry.
The earl refuses to allow anyone who is not of blue blood to marry his son. Although Mary's family is poor, she has blue blood in her veins.

get blood out of a stone

if making someone give or tell you something is like getting blood out of a stone, it is very difficult
Collecting the rent money from him each month is like getting blood out of a stone. I tried to talk to her, but I may as well have tried to get blood out of a stone.

Оффлайн Arsenovna

• Ветеран
  • Die Welt gehört demjenigen, der sich darüber freut
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #240 : 28 сентября 2016, 11:49:06 »
Idioms from food

Read the story and discuss the questions  ::)

The used car I bought for three hundred dollars was a lemon. My friends said I was nuts to believe the baloney the seller gave. The seller said that the car was like new, with only ten thousand miles on it. She called it reliable transportation at a very low price. She said she was really selling it for peanuts.
Starting the engine of the car was a piece of cake. I just turned the key – no problem. However, soon I was in a pickle: the brakes didn’t work! The owner of the Cadillac I hit went bananas when he saw the damage to the front of his car. He started shouting at me and wouldn’t stop. Now I have to pay him two thousand dollars to repair his car. But my friend Nina was a peach. She took my car to the garbage dump so that I didn’t have to see it again.

1) Does something that is a lemon wor well? Have you ever bought a lemon? :-X
2) Is something that is a piece of cake easy to do or hard to do? :dumaet:
3) When someone goes bananas, what happens to the person?  :biggrin:

Example of idioms

The apple of one’s eye:
The baby is the apple of her grandfather’s eye. He thinks that she’s always wonderful.

Baloney:

His speech about the importance of helping the poor is baloney. He wouldn’t even give his best friend a dime.

To cream someone:

Our basketball team really creamed its opponent. Our team won by a score of 120 to 60.

Fishy:

On our return home, we found the front door open, and we suspected that something fishy was going on.

To go bananas:
She went bananas when she heard she won first prize in the talent contest.

In a pickle:
Bill was in a pickle. After filling his car with gas, he couldn’t find the money to pay.

A lemon:
The new tape player I bought was a lemon, and I’m going to take it back to the store for a new one.

Nuts:

Tony must be nuts to pay over a hundred dollars for a shirt.

A peach:
When I was sick last week, Susan visited me and bought groceries for me. She’s a peach.

Peanuts:
Rose buys used clothes at second-hand stores, and she gets nice-looking clothes for peanuts.

A piece of cake:
The math test was a piece of cake for Erik. He is very good at doing math problems.

Meanings (write the idiom next to it defenition)

1.   __________ in trouble

2.   __________ something that is very easy to do

3.   __________ something that does not work, usually an electrical appliance or mechanical item

4.   __________ to totally beat someone in a game

5.   __________ a very small amount of money

6.   __________ nonsense

7.   __________ suspicious, not right and honest

8.   __________ to go crazy

9.   __________ very crazy very upset

10.   __________ a very nice person

11.   __________ someone’s favourite person

Оффлайн Mari

• Администратор
  • Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #239 : 27 сентября 2016, 22:31:13 »
:biggrin:

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #238 : 27 сентября 2016, 19:57:46 »
Apple

Apple of someone’s eye – любимый человек или предмет, свет в окошке, объект обожания: Her son was the apple of her eye. – Она в своем сыне души не чаяла.

Bad apple – негодяй, подлец; паршивая овца (амер.), из пословицы “bad apple spoils the whole barrel” (ложка дегтя в бочке меда): You'll find the occasional bad apple in every organization. – Вы найдете паршивую овцу в любой организации.

To compare apples to oranges – сравнивать совершенно разные вещи, сопоставлять несопоставимое

How do you like them apples? – Как вам это нравится? Ну и ну! Вот это да! (о чем-то, что вдруг произошло или возникло): Joe got a job as a newspaper reporter. How do you like them apples? – Джо приняли на работу в качестве репортера. Как тебе такое?

The apple never falls far from the tree. – Яблоко от яблони недалеко падает.

To upset the apple cart – испортить всю музыку, расстроить чьи-либо планы, испортить что-то: Tom really upset the apple cart by telling Kate about the party. – Том все испортил, рассказав Кейт про вечеринку.