Автор Тема: News  (Прочитано 253434 раз)

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
Re: News
« Ответ #441 : 04 июня 2018, 12:44:55 »

It was dark in the library. The room was filled with dark books and it depressed Scarlett. She started to think it wasn’t the right place for her serious talk with Ashley.
     She closed the door and tried to make her heart beat more slowly. Scarlett tried to think of what she had planned to tell him, but she couldn’t remember anything. All she could think of was that she loved everything in him - from his golden hair to his dark boots. He had to love her, too!

“Ah, Scarlett!” said Ashley,opening the door and looking at her with a smile “What are you doing here?.
“Ashey, I’ve got a secret to tell you”
 “What is it?” he asked. “A secret to tell me?”
 “Yes-a secret. I love you.”

But Ashley said nothing.
 “Ashey,” she said after a moment of silence “Don’t you want to-to marry me?”
He replied, “I’m going to marry Melanie. “She is like me, part of my blood, and we understand each other. And you, Scarlett, are so young and unthinking that you do not know what marriage is. What’s more, you have a passion for life that I haven’t and will never have! Me and you are too different!”

When Scarlett heard about Melanie, she remembered how much she hated her, her pale face, her little hands and her manners.
“You are a coward, Ashley!” she cried - “You’re afraid to marry me! You’d rather live with that stupid little girl who opens her little mouth only to say ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ and only talks with losers just like her! I shall hate you till I die, Ashley!”

She cried that in anger and slapped him across the face. After that she understood, she wasn’t angry with him anymore but her heart was empty.
Ashley said nothing and went away, closing the door softly behind him.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrhNPS4nbmQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrhNPS4nbmQ</a>

0:00 - 1:13

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #440 : 03 июня 2018, 11:11:53 »
II Club
1.1 Чтение, Письмо, Перевод, Интернет—Поиск 410каб `22мин

1. Read aloud. Mind your intonation.
2. Complete the sentences by quoting the text.
3. The teacher dictates the text. Put it down.

Scarlett O’Hara was not beautiful, but men could never understand it. They were caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were. In her face she had the delicate features of her mother, and the heavy ones of her Irish father. Her eyes were green with long black lashes and her skin was milky-white, like a flower ‘magnolia’.

One bright April afternoon of 1861 she was sitting with Stuart and Brent Tarleton near the porch of Tara, her father’s plantation. Scarlett was very pretty at that moment. She was wearing a long green flowered dress and green morocco slippers, bought by her father in Atlanta. The green eyes in her sweet face were bright, vivid, lively and very different from her polite manners, the result of her mammy’s strict discipline.

On both sides of her, the Tarleton twins were sitting in their chairs, looking at the sunlight, laughing and talking. Their six feet tall nineteen-year old bodies were strong with muscles and full of life. They had sunburned faces, happy eyes and bright red hair. Both of them were wearing blue coats and dark yellow trousers, which made them look very much alike.

In the driveway, there were two horses, red as their masters’ hair; and a couple of nervous dogs that followed Stuart and Brent wherever they went. The twins had the power and energy of country people who have spent all their lives in the outside and troubled their heads very little with dull things in books. This was the reason why they had just been expelled from the University of Georgia, the fourth university for the last two years. They knew, their mother was a hot-tempered woman and that she wouldn’t be pleased to hear the bad news and would surely punish them for that. A single thought of it made them feel uncomfortable.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWMPvv-AJM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWMPvv-AJM</a>

0:00 - 1:42

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #439 : 03 июня 2018, 11:11:32 »
I Club

1.1 Чтение, Письмо, Перевод, Интернет-Поиск 410каб `22мин

1. Read aloud. Mind your intonation.
2. Complete the sentences by quoting the text.
3. The teacher dictates the text. Put it down.

Margaret Mitchell was born on November 8, 1900, in Atlanta, Georgia, in an Irish-Catholic family. When Margaret was a child, she loved to make up stories and wrote more than 100 adventure books.
     In 1918, Mitchell joined Smith College in Massachusetts. Four months later, her mother died and Mitchell returned to Atlanta, where she met Berrien Kinnard Upshaw. They got married in 1922, but four months later Upshaw left for the Midwest and didn’t come back.

After that, Mitchell got a job in the ‘Atlanta Journal’ Sunday magazine, where she wrote more than 130 articles. She married John Robert Marsh in 1925, but her journalist career ended quickly because of the broken leg. While Margaret had to stay at home, she began writing Gone With the Wind, a romantic novel about the history of the South and the tragedy of the war.

Gone With the Wind was published in 1936, had huge success and got the  Pulitzer award in 1937. Mitchell became famous, and the film based on her novel came out just three years later and became a classic, too. It won eight Oscars and 2 special Oscars.

During World War II, Mitchell had no time to write, because she worked for the American Red Cross. And on August 11, 1949, she was struck by a car while crossing a street and died five days later. Gone With the Wind was her only novel, which had a great effect on American literature.

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #438 : 24 апреля 2018, 18:01:47 »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSlVgtwAcRA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSlVgtwAcRA</a>

1) 0:22 - 1:55

2) 3:18 - 4:57

3) 5:03 - 7:36

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #437 : 27 марта 2018, 19:38:43 »
COMMUNICATION, SPEECH PATTERNS

1. SAYING ‘’HELLO’’

‘’Hello, how are you?’’
 ‘’Fine, thank you. And how are you?”
 “I’m fine, too.”

2.  INTRODUCTIONS, MEETING PEOPLE

“May I introduce my friend to you, Vera Ivanovna?”
 “Oh, yes!”
 “My name is Andrey. I’ve been a student of Modern         
   Education School since long ago.”
 “Happy to meet you.”
 “Happy to meet you, too.”

3. ABOUT THE WEATHER

“The weather is fine (terrible) today, isn’t it?”
 “Oh, yes, it is.”
 “They say it’ll change tomorrow.”
 “I’m sure it will. It changes every day and sometimes every hour.”

4. SOCIAL NETWORKS

“There are many social networks in the internet. Which one do you visit?”
 “I used to visit Facebook, but not anymore.”
 “Why not? You can make lots of friends and have loads   of ‘likes’ there.”
 “I’ve started to like real friends, whom I can see face-to-face, do sports and go to different
  places together with. One of them   might become a true friend for life.”
“Now I understand what my father calls ‘spending quality time together’ .”

5. GOING TO THE THEATRE WITH NIKA

“Have you ever been to the Maliy Theatre?”
 “Oh, no! Never, and why?”
 “Nika has got tickets for ‘Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare’ . Would 
  you like to go?”
 “I’m afraid  I can’t, I’ve got things to do.”
 “That’s a pity! Theatre makes people more intelligent and interesting.”

6. SAYING GOOD-BYE, LEAVING A PARTY

“I’m afraid  I must be going. It’s been a nice party!”
 “I’m glad you liked it.”
 “It’s been a pleasure!”
 “The pleasure was all mine. Stay in touch.”
 “I will. See you next time.”

7. SAYING GOOD-BYE, LEAVING A LESSON

“Thank you, Yemi!  It’s been a useful lesson as usual.”
 “I’ m happy you appreciate it. Be attentive when doing your home work!”
 “I will. And I’ll pay special attention to the “Flаsh card.”
  “Bye - bye “.

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #436 : 18 марта 2018, 13:08:03 »
The Future of Russia (according to american and european experts)

Internationally, much will depend on events in Washington. Both Donald Trump and Putin seem willing to sit down together and possibly do big deals, but the political toxicity of Russia in Washington makes it seem unlikely that the relationship will be moved any further than mutual backslapping.
     In Europe, governments across the continent will continue to be wary of Russian meddling, and there may be a sense that Putin has overplayed his hand, though the Kremlin will continue to act as a lightning rod for those governments and leaders dissatisfied with the west. There is also a chance for Putin to be the linchpin of a deal with Iran and Turkey over the future of Syria, largely bypassing the Americans and providing a huge win for Moscow, with its military intervention in the country having saved the president, Bashar al-Assad.

•   Demographics

Russian population will start shrinking in the next couple of years given the demographic trends. Only huge immigration rates can change that and this is unlikely to happen. The result will be the increasing number of retirees supported by decreasing number of workers. It is a common problem in Europe but Russia will become old before it became rich

•   Education
Soviet STEM education has produced some of the best scientists and theoretically it should position Russia well in the new even more technological world. But some of the most educated emigrate and find good well paying jobs in the US or Europe. At the same time the education system has been deteriorating with the recent budget cuts

•   Political stability
Putin will likely remain the president at least until 2024 but nobody knows what happens next. He will likely try to appoint some kind of successor and likely someone connected to the army or special services. The result is unpredictable.

•   Economy
Given the western sanctions and no major reforms the economy is predicted to grow 1.5–2% in the next 10–15 years which means no major crisis but no real improvements in the quality of life. Major economic reforms may change that.

•   Oil
New renewable energy sources and things like electric cars will determine the dynamics of oil prices. If changes come earlier than predicted and Russian economy doesn't have time to adjust, it will be very painful for Russians

Stability in deterrence will likely be decisive in the year ahead, as Russia will keep trying to edge out US influence in the world and take a bigger share of the international order. It will also be a decisive year in terms of reassurance for NATO allies, and may well see a resolution of sorts in the Mueller investigation into collusion with Russia.

For a month in the summer, international attention will be on Russia as it hosts the World Cup. Before the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi there was a hope inside Russia that success would lead to a new international respect for it as a major world power. This time there is no such expectation on either side. With the current leaderships in Moscow and in Washington, and as the international system becomes more disordered, the US–Russia relationship will surely get worse, but how much worse?

Оффлайн AlexanderShcherban

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #435 : 27 февраля 2018, 12:41:03 »
Maybe at some point we can use this text for our Ennglish club?

Early Foreign Policy
Displaying an astonishing inconstancy, Alexander abandoned his internal reforms to devote himself to foreign policy, to which he would commit the major portion of his reign. Sensitive to fluctuations in continental politics, he was a “European” who hoped for peace and unity. He felt that he was called to be a mediator, like his grandmother, who had been called the “Arbiter of Europe.”
As soon as he came to power, Alexander resealed an alliance with England that had been broken by Paul I. He nonetheless maintained good relations with France in the hope of “moderating” Bonaparte by restraining his spirit of conquest. A feeling of chivalry attached Alexander to the king of Prussia, Frederick William III, and to Queen Louisa, and a treaty of friendship was signed with Prussia. Later, he got on good terms with Austria. His idealism persuaded him that these alliances would lead to a European federation.

Napoleon had other ideas. His territorial encroachments, his desire for world hegemony, and his coronation in 1804 as emperor forced Alexander to declare war against him. Assuming the role of commander in chief, he relied on the Austrian generals and scorned the counsel of the Russian general Prince Kutuzov, a shrewd strategist. The Russians and Austrians were defeated at Austerlitz, in Moravia, on December 2, 1805, and the emperor Francis II was forced to sign the peace treaty, since his territory was occupied by the enemy. Russia remained intact behind its frontiers. Moreover, Napoleon wanted to spare the tsar; he hoped to gain his friendship and to divide the world with him. Such a notion did not occur to Alexander, who wanted revenge.

In 1806 Napoleon defeated Prussia at Jena and Auerstädt. Despite the warnings of both his mother and his advisers, the tsar rushed to the aid of his friend. The battles were fought in East Prussia. After a partial success at Eylau, the Russian army, under General Bennigsen, was decimated at Friedland on June 14, 1807. Then occurred the meeting (June 25) of the two emperors on a raft in the middle of the Niemen off Tilsit (now Sovetsk). The sequel of these events demonstrates that, in the course of the Tilsit interview, it was the tsar of Russia who deceived the emperor of the French. Seeking to gain time he used his charm to play the admiring friend. He accepted all the victor’s conditions, promising to break with England, to adhere to the Continental System set up by Napoleon to isolate and weaken Great Britain, and to recognize the creation of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw, formed from the part of Poland given to Prussia during the Partition of 1795. In “recompense” Napoleon gave Alexander liberty to expand at the expense of Sweden and Turkey.

Оффлайн DAS

• Ist Fantastisch
  • Модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #434 : 20 февраля 2018, 20:08:19 »
DAS, а что у нас на среду в планах: сценарий проведения клуба?

План уже в "научно-методическом месяце", продолжаем работать с Александром I

Оффлайн Helga

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #433 : 19 февраля 2018, 17:01:10 »
DAS, а что у нас на среду в планах: сценарий проведения клуба?

Оффлайн Helga

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #432 : 13 февраля 2018, 16:17:55 »
Для DAS:
Возможные видеоварианты для английского клуба 14.02.18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukxTa6gJQP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xzV5YLbXZw

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #431 : 13 февраля 2018, 15:44:42 »
In addition to the last message, there is some information about courtly love, maybe that can be useful?

Courtly love was a medieval European literary conception of love that emphasized nobility and chivalry. Medieval literature is filled with examples of knights setting out on adventures and performing various services for ladies because of their "courtly love". This kind of love is originally a literary fiction created for the entertainment of the nobility, but as time passed, these ideas about love changed and attracted a larger audience. In the high Middle Ages, a "game of love" developed around these ideas as a set of social practices. "Loving nobly" was considered to be an enriching and improving practice.

Stages of courtly love:

Attraction to the lady, usually via eyes/glance
Worship of the lady from afar
Declaration of passionate devotion
Virtuous rejection by the lady
Renewed wooing with oaths of virtue and eternal fealty
Moans of approaching death from unsatisfied desire (and other physical manifestations of lovesickness)
Heroic deeds of valor which win the lady's heart
Consummation of the secret love
Endless adventures and subterfuges avoiding detection

P.S To be honest, it's kind of a hard task to find something about 14 february without any relation to st.Valentine

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #430 : 13 февраля 2018, 15:27:21 »
The day first became associated with romantic love within the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the 14th century, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. In 18th-century England, it evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines"). In Europe, Saint Valentine's Keys are given to lovers "as a romantic symbol and an invitation to unlock the giver’s heart", as well as to children, in order to ward off epilepsy (called Saint Valentine's Malady).Valentine's Day symbols that are used today include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten valentines have given way to mass-produced greeting cards.

Saint Valentine's Day is an official feast day in the Anglican Communion and the Lutheran Church. Many parts of the Eastern Orthodox Church also celebrate Saint Valentine's Day, albeit on July 6 and July 30, the former date in honor of the Roman presbyter Saint Valentine, and the latter date in honor of Hieromartyr Valentine, the Bishop of Interamna (modern Terni).

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #429 : 13 февраля 2018, 15:14:05 »
More about origin.

Valentine's Day is an old tradition thought to have originated from a Roman Festival known as Lupercalia.

It was held on February 15 as a fertility festival dedicated to Faunus, the Roman god of agriculture.

During the celebrations boys would draw names of girls from a box and the pair would be partners during the festival.

These matches often led to marriage.

The festival survived the initial rise of Christianity but was outlawed at the end of the 5th century when Pope Gelasius declared February 14 St Valentine's Day.

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #428 : 13 февраля 2018, 15:05:43 »
 14 February is St. Valentine’s Day. This started more than two thousand years ago, as a winter festival, on 15 February. On that day, people asked their gods to give them good fruit and vegetables, and strong animals.

When the Christians came to Britain, they came with a story about a man called Saint Valentine. The story is that Valentine was a Christian who lived in Rome in the third century. The Roman Emperor at the time, Claudius the Second, was not a Christian. Claudius thought that married soldiers did not make good soldiers, so he told his soldiers that they must not marry.

Valentine worked for the church, and one day he helped a soldier who wanted to marry. The emperor said that Valentine had to die because of this, and he sent Valentine to prison. But Valentine fell in love with the daughter of a man who worked there. Just before he died, he sent a note to this woman, and at the end of the note, he wrote: ‘Your Valentine.’ He died on 14 february, so the date of the festival changed from 15 to 14 February and the name changed to Saint Valentine’s Day.

In the early nineteenth century people started to give Valentine’s cards to the person they loved on 14 February. The cards had pictures of bird and flowers on them – perhaps red roses, the flower of love – and inside were words like these:

Roses are red, my love,
Violets are blue.
Sugar is sweet, my love,
But not as sweet as you.

People still send each other Valentine’s cards, but often they do not write their names inside: they just write ‘Be my Valentine’ or ‘From your Valentine’.

Some children give their friends or teachers cards or chocolates. A man will perhaps give red roses to the woman that he loves. A lot of people go out to restaurants for the evening and have dinner for two, and some people think it is a good day to marry.”

Оффлайн Ann

• Глобальный модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #427 : 27 декабря 2017, 23:12:56 »
These are eternal topics and we will be able to work on them for quite a while! I  would just recommend watching different films in senior and junior groups.

We could think it over. By the way, I often remember "We Bought a Zoo". I wish there were another film like this one.