Автор Тема: Let's enjoy some of the English idioms!  (Прочитано 177697 раз)

Оффлайн KON

• Пользователь
    • Просмотр профиля
Re: Let's enjoy some of English idioms!
« Ответ #12 : 26 января 2013, 23:40:56 »
It's exactly..."Could you give me a hand with this suitcase?". Let's think about the following: "He has taken in his best friend and now has a heavy ....", "I'm sure, she has not told us the truth: she leads us by the ....".

Оффлайн Golubev

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #11 : 23 января 2013, 10:08:35 »
Dear KON,
thanks for offering these idioms, referred to parts of the body.-
I guess the answer is 
HAND
into this       "Could you give me a... with this suitcase? It"s a bit too heavy for me to carry".
Please say if it's right
BR,
Golubev Oleg

Оффлайн KON

• Пользователь
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #10 : 21 января 2013, 00:05:35 »
I"d like to offer you some idioms, refering to different parts of the body. Try to guess. "His new car must have cost him an arm and a ..."  "Could you give me a... with this suitcase? It"s a bit too heavy for me to carry".

Оффлайн Golubev

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #9 : 14 декабря 2012, 12:47:25 »
Thank you for help, KON.
What about the meaning of being a down-to-earth-person? Is it like being very practical?
pls. clarify
BR,
Golubev Oleg

Оффлайн KON

• Пользователь
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #8 : 13 декабря 2012, 15:30:43 »
Back to the idiom: if you are down in the mouth how do you feel? Upset only! And : when you learn something out of the blue is it surprise?

Оффлайн KON

• Пользователь
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #7 : 13 декабря 2012, 15:23:39 »
Back to this  idiom:If you are down in the  mouth, how do you feel? You feel upset! And : when you learn something out of the blue, is it surprise?

Оффлайн Golubev

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #6 : 12 декабря 2012, 10:58:23 »
Dear KON,
thank you for making out the subtle nuance of the two first idioms. We have not done the meaning of "to be down in the mouth" yet - does one feel hungry with this? pls. make your statement.
BR,
Golubev Oleg

Оффлайн KON

• Пользователь
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #5 : 10 декабря 2012, 23:35:26 »
It's really so! To get butterflies in your stomach is something like getting nervous. To be over the moon means that you feel happy. And what about the following. When someone goes bananas, what happens to the person? The next. When somtone hits the roof, how does the person feel?

Оффлайн Golubev

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #4 : 09 декабря 2012, 21:25:00 »
Dear KON,
let me try to choose the correct answer: to get butterflies in your stomach   might have the meaning      to be nervous  - right?

But I need your help to elucidate the meaning of    to be over moon     
( pls give us a hint )

BR,
Golubev Oleg

Оффлайн KON

• Пользователь
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #3 : 08 декабря 2012, 23:10:43 »
These are some more idioms. Let"s try to choose the correct answer. If you get butterflies in your stomach before an exam - how do you feel? (hungry, nervous,  shy).  If you are over moon, how do you feel? (sleepy,happy, upset). If you are down in the mouth, how do you feel? (hungry, angry, upset). Tom is as cool as a cucumber. What does it mean? (he is very calm; he is fashionably dressed). John is a down-to-earth-person. What is he like? (he is a very short; he is rude; he is practical). Good luck!

Оффлайн Golubev

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #2 : 22 ноября 2012, 19:09:00 »
Dear Irina,
Speaking about significance of knowing the idioms, I cannot agree with you more!
We can especially enjoy them by understanding exact meaning: "Trying to find a small plane in the rain forest is like looking for a needle in a haystack" (very difficult because it is looking for something small in a very big space)
This might be one of the secrets of expanding our usable vocabulary!
So, idiom is a vital ingredient on labelling disclosure of our mental involvement.
Best regards,
Golubev Oleg

Оффлайн Irina

• Новичок
    • Просмотр профиля
Let's enjoy some of the English idioms!
« Ответ #1 : 21 ноября 2012, 23:54:55 »
They really help us make our life a bit more funny.What do you say about  the following expressions... "Take it easy", "You are as cool as cucumber", "This problem is  a piece of cake", "You've got a sweet tooth', "Don't let the cat out of the bag". They are not so boring, aren't they?!