Автор Тема: just small talk ;-)  (Прочитано 63583 раз)

Оффлайн Andy

• Ветеран
  • Veni Vidi Vici
    • Просмотр профиля
Re: just small talk ;-)
« Ответ #72 : 29 марта 2014, 19:23:10 »
Some of us even live online rather than offline)
Сам факт того, что слово "offline" существует уже заставляет задуматься)

Оффлайн Даша

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #71 : 29 марта 2014, 01:09:33 »
Millions of people connect on the Internet every day. Making a new tennis buddy, finding a date for Friday night, locating fellow saltwater aquarium fans, or finding your true love online...it really does work! Do you agree?

Оффлайн Tessa

• Ветеран
  • Every day is a new beginning.
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #70 : 27 марта 2014, 23:35:59 »
"Do you have any pets?"

Let's face it, dog people are different from cat people. That's not a bad thing, nor does it mean that the two can't be good friends. But people with pets do like to talk about them, and it helps to share that in common with a friend. Dogs are also a great way for friends to be active and bond, and will provide new friends a variety of activities to do together.

Finding out if your pal has a pet can also give you a glimpse into their personal and professional life. Someone that answers with a "No way! I travel all the time," or "I don't have time for pets" will clue you in to what their free time and work life are like.

oh, discussing pets is always a topic to swing a good person!

Оффлайн Даша

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #69 : 26 марта 2014, 23:19:27 »
"Do you have any pets?"

Let's face it, dog people are different from cat people. That's not a bad thing, nor does it mean that the two can't be good friends. But people with pets do like to talk about them, and it helps to share that in common with a friend. Dogs are also a great way for friends to be active and bond, and will provide new friends a variety of activities to do together.

Finding out if your pal has a pet can also give you a glimpse into their personal and professional life. Someone that answers with a "No way! I travel all the time," or "I don't have time for pets" will clue you in to what their free time and work life are like.

Оффлайн Даша

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #68 : 25 марта 2014, 23:11:47 »
If shyness is indeed a fear of negative judgment, one way to combat this is to find activities where the focus is not on engaging in conversation right away, but on the activity itself.

When you join a club where the focus shifts from meeting people to doing an activity, you can engage in conversation slowly over time. You won't feel pressured to connect, but will be encouraged to do so as part of the activity which you share in common with everyone else there. Fear of judgment in this case, is limited.

Some activities to try:

Book groups: The focus is on the books you're reading and not on you. What's more, book clubs have a lot of introverts in them, which will allow you to remain quiet without feeling odd. You can add your opinions or just listen to what others shy. Either way, you'll be part of the activity and will be meeting people slowly month by month.

Volunteering: What better way to take the focus off of you than by giving your time for a cause? Helping out others also boosts your self-esteem.

Sports: Playing a sport makes you part of a team. That in and of itself gives you an "in" with new people.

Classes: A class is always a good way to meet new people because you'll be expanding your mind, learning something new, and interacting with people on projects. (Seems to me, it sounds like our English Club!)

Оффлайн Даша

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #67 : 24 марта 2014, 11:08:04 »
      The weather is often mentioned as something you should avoid when making small talk, but I think it is still a good opener with strangers, if you use some detail. Rather than say, "Nice weather we're having," say instead, "What a warm day it turned out to be! What are you doing this afternoon? Are you able to get out and enjoy it?"

Or, ask them about something regarding the weather, like: "I wasn't able to find out if it was going to rain. We've got a picnic coming up so I sure hope not. Did you happen to catch the forecast?"

Оффлайн Tessa

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #66 : 22 марта 2014, 10:10:27 »
Math is Magic!  ;D

Оффлайн Tessa

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #65 : 19 марта 2014, 13:50:54 »
I decided to go this summer in the Crimea!

Оффлайн Andy

• Ветеран
  • Veni Vidi Vici
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #64 : 18 марта 2014, 17:26:54 »
Russian President Vladimir Putin has delivered a fiercely patriotic speech in the Kremlin, describing Crimea as an inseparable part of Russia.

Addressing a special joint session of parliament in Moscow, Mr Putin accused the West of reverting to Cold War containment by trying to stop the Ukrainian region joining Russia.

He defended Russia's actions in the crisis over the Black Sea peninsula, which has pushed relations with the West to a post-Cold War low.

Оффлайн Даша

• Ветеран
  • Патриций
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #63 : 16 марта 2014, 12:14:41 »
Crimea is voting on whether to rejoin Russia or stay with Ukraine but with more autonomy. Since the fall of Ukraine's pro-Moscow President Viktor Yanukovych, Russian troops have in effect taken control of the majority ethnic-Russian region. Voters are expected to support leaving Ukraine, but Crimean Tatars are boycotting the poll.
I like Crimea and I'd be happy if it will join Russia!

Оффлайн Камень

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #62 : 15 марта 2014, 14:46:15 »
Yes I'm new here! Nice to meet you!
Did you hear about the crowd of people who support Ukraine in the center of Moscow? As I remember they are going to start their meeting today.

Оффлайн Spirit of Finland

• Глобальный модератор
  • Ветеран
  • Удача сопутствует смелым!
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #61 : 15 марта 2014, 14:25:33 »
Hello! How are you?

Hi!
Are you new here?

Оффлайн Tessa

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #60 : 15 марта 2014, 13:33:44 »
Missing Out on "Big Talk" Opportunities

The whole point of small talk is to find a possible "in" toward deeper conversation. The art of small talk involves listening and recognizing clues toward opportunities that get into a topic more intensely. It's these types of conversations that will allow you to get to know someone and really figure out if you can bond with them.
      Some folks just keep mentioning small talk subjects, even when it's clear that their new friend wants to chat more about a specific subject. Remember, small talk isn't about filling time, it's about looking for clues that can lead you somewhere else conversationally.

Оффлайн Камень

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #59 : 14 марта 2014, 20:18:20 »
Hello! How are you?

Оффлайн Andy

• Ветеран
  • Veni Vidi Vici
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #58 : 14 марта 2014, 16:26:58 »
dating, the determination of the age of an object, of a natural phenomenon, or of a series of events. There are two basic types of dating methods, relative and absolute. In relative dating, the temporal order of a sequence of events is determined, allowing the investigator to surmise whether a particular object or event is older or younger than, or occurred before or after, another object or event. In absolute or chronometric dating, the investigator establishes the age of an object or event in calendar years.