Автор Тема: Do we really know the history of English?  (Прочитано 39279 раз)

Оффлайн АЛЁНА

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
Re: Do we really know the history of English?
« Ответ #113 : 16 октября 2014, 14:46:42 »
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is situated on the British Isles. They lie to the north-west of Europe. The British Isles are separated from the continent by the narrow strait of water that is called the English Channel.

The United Kingdom consists of four parts: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. England, the central part, occupies the most of the island of Great Britain. To the north lies Scotland and to the west the third part of the country, Wales, is situated. The fourth part is called Northern Ireland and is located on the second island. Each part has its capital. The capital of England is London, Wales has Cardiff, Scotland has Edinburgh and the main city of Northern Ireland is Belfast.

Great Britain is a country of forests and plains. There are no high mountains in this country. Scotland is the most mountainous region with the highest peak, Ben Nevis. The rivers of Great Britain are not long. The longest rivers are the Thames and the Severn. The capital of the United Kingdom, London, stands on the banks of the Thames. As the country is surrounded by many seas, there are some great ports at the seaside: London, Glasgow, Plymouth and others.

Wales is a country of lakes.

Seas and oceans influence the British climate that is not too cold in winter but never hot in summer. Great Britain is a beautiful country with old traditions and good people.

Великобритания

Соединенное Королевство Великобритании и Северной Ирландии расположено на Британских островах. Они лежат на северо-западе Европы. Британские острова отделены от материка узким проливом, который называется Ла-Манш.

Великобритания состоит из четырех частей: Англия, Шотландия, Уэльс и Северная Ирландия. Англия, в центральной части, занимает большую часть острова Великобритания. На севере- Шотландия и к западу расположена третья часть страны- Уэльс. Четвертая часть называется Северной Ирландией и находится на другом острове. Каждая часть имеет свою столицу. Столица Англии- Лондон, Уэльса- Кардифф, Шотландии- Эдинбург и главный город Северной Ирландии- Белфаст.

Великобритания является страной лесов и равнин. В этой стране нет высоких гор. Шотландия является самым горным регионом, с самой высокой вершиной- Бен Невис. Реки Великобритании не длинные. Самые длинные реки- Темза и Северн. Столица Великобритании, Лондон, стоит на берегу Темзы. Так как страна окружена морями, несколько больших портов лежат на морском побережье: Лондон, Глазго, Плимут и другие.

Уэльс является страной озер.

Моря и океаны влияют на климат Британии, который не слишком холодный зимой, и никогда не жаркий летом. Великобритания- очень красивая страна с давними традициями и хорошими людьми.

Оффлайн Б.Я.

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #112 : 10 октября 2014, 02:20:08 »
    Ну, конечно, не знаем. А свою-то знаем?

Оффлайн Ежик

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #111 : 01 октября 2014, 19:17:35 »
Sorry, we don't know the history at all (Russian, English, Albanian  . . . )

All the "History" is a fiction. Что делать будем? "Английский" начинается с Чосера. Ну, а потом Шекспир, которого современные англичане не понимают...

Я уж не говорю про американцев с их 'one nite fo u'
   I agree with you.

Оффлайн admist

• Человек - это животное, занимающееся историей (с)Дидро
  • Ветеран
  • Пpoeкт ЦИBИЛИ3AЦИЯ
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #110 : 30 сентября 2014, 20:48:59 »
The history of English.

Sorry, we don't know the history at all (Russian, English, Albanian  . . . )

All the "History" is a fiction. Что делать будем? "Английский" начинается с Чосера. Ну, а потом Шекспир, которого современные англичане не понимают...

Я уж не говорю про американцев с их 'one nite fo u'
В России за десять лет меняется все, а за двести - ничего.

Оффлайн Ежик

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #109 : 27 сентября 2014, 00:33:27 »

Sorry, but . . .  Do we really know the history of WHAT?  :-\
The history of English.

Оффлайн admist

• Человек - это животное, занимающееся историей (с)Дидро
  • Ветеран
  • Пpoeкт ЦИBИЛИ3AЦИЯ
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #108 : 22 сентября 2014, 16:56:44 »
     Do we really know the history of English? Of course, we don't. We don't know the history of Russian either.

Sorry, but . . .  Do we really know the history of WHAT?  :-\
В России за десять лет меняется все, а за двести - ничего.

Оффлайн Ежик

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #107 : 16 сентября 2014, 19:59:30 »
     Do we really know the history of English? Of course, we don't. We don't know the history of Russian either.

Оффлайн Орландо

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #106 : 12 августа 2014, 20:10:16 »
When he was a strong young cat, he caught many mice. The mice were afraid of him then. But in time he grew old and could not catch mice any more...
One day he decided to play a trick on the mice. He lay .on his back and did not move at all. A mouse saw him and thought he was dead. She ran to her friends and said, «The cat is dead. Let us dance and play!»
And all the mice began to dance and play. They were very happy. They danced and danced round the cat, and the cat did not move. Then one of the mice jumped on the cat's head.
"Look at "me! Come nearer, all of you! The bad cat is dead! Let us dance on his head!"
But suddenly the cat jumped up and caught the silly mouse. The other mice ran away as quickly as they could.
Mice! Don't forget!
Never believe a cat!

Оффлайн Орландо

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #105 : 02 августа 2014, 19:13:32 »
The Miracle of the Ring

Another legend of St. Mungo tells of a king who gave his wife a ring which she, in turn, gave to a handsome soldier. The king was informed of this and, coming across the soldier asleep on the river-bank, took the ring from his finger and threw it into the Clyde.
Deviously, he then asked his queen if he could have the ring. She sent for the soldier, who of course was unable to produce it. The queen, now distraught, appealed to St. Mungo for help.
Mungo quickly found the ring in the belly of a salmon taken from the river, and returned it to her. When the king saw the ring was safe, he thought his queen must have been maligned, and rounded on her accusers. The Coat of arms of the City of Glasgow still include a salmon with a ring in its mouth.

Оффлайн Орландо

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #104 : 02 августа 2014, 18:58:45 »
St. Mungo

In the heart of the city once known as glas ghu (Celtic for “dear green place”) stands the great Cathedral of St. Mungo – its founder and Glasgow’s patron saint.
St. Mungo completed his religious training in Fife, in the mid-sixth century. Then he travelled to the house of a holy man called Fergus, who had been told he would not die until he met someone who would convert the district to Christianity. Soon after being greeted by Mungo, he died.

Mungo placed the body on a cart drawn by two wild bulls and instructed them to go to the place ordained by God. Where the cart stopped, Mungo buried Fergus and founded the church that was to become Glasgow Cathedral.

Оффлайн Орландо

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #103 : 01 августа 2014, 21:15:26 »

THE BOY AND THE APPLE TREE

A long time ago, there was a huge apple tree. A little boy loved tocome and play around it every day. He climbed to the treetop, atethe apples, and took a nap under the shadow. He loved the treeand the tree loved to play with him. Time went by, the little boyhad grown up and he no longer played around the tree everyday. One day, the boy came back to the tree and he looked sad."Come and play with me", the tree asked the boy. "I am no longer a kid, I don't play around trees anymore" the boyreplied. "I want toys. I need money to buy them." "Sorry, but I do not have money, but you can pick all my applesand sell them. So, you will have money." The boy was so excited. He grabbed all the apples on the tree andleft happily. The boy never came back after he picked the apples.The tree was sad. One day, the boy who now turned into a manreturned and the tree was excited. "Come and play with me" the tree said. "I do not have time to play. I have to work for my family. We needa house for shelter. Can you help me?" "Sorry, but I do not have any house. But you can chop off mybranches to build your house." So the man cut all the branches ofthe tree and left happily. The tree was glad to see him happy butthe man never came back since then. The tree was again lonelyand sad. One hot summer day, the man returned and the treewas delighted. "Come and play with me!" the tree said. "I am getting old. I want to go sailing to relax myself. Can you giveme a boat?" said man. "Use my trunk to build your boat. You can sail far away and behappy." So the man cut the tree trunk to make a boat. He wentsailing and never showed up for a long time. Finally, the manreturned after many years. "Sorry, by boy. But I do not haveanything for you anymore no more apples for you", the tree said. "No problem, I do not have any teethe to bite and I know nomore trunk to climb on, I am too old" the man replied. "I really cannot give you anything, the only thing left is my dyingroots," the tree said with tears. "I do not need much now, just a place to rest. I am tired after allthese years," the man replied. "Good! Old tree roots are the bestplace to lean on and rest, come sit down with me and res." Theman sat down and the tree was glad and smiled with tears. This is a story of everyone. The tree is like our parents. When wewere young, we loved to play with our Mum and Dad. When wegrow up, we leave them; only come to them when we needsomething or when we are in trouble. No matter what, parentswill always be there and give everything they could just to makeyou happy. You may think the boy is cruel to the tree, but that ishow all of us treat our parents. We take them for granted; wedon't appreciate all they do for us, until it's too late.

Оффлайн Орландо

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #102 : 01 августа 2014, 21:14:59 »
Да.  вы  правы. Классика  вечна  и всегда  нова.

Оффлайн born to be wild

• Глобальный модератор
  • Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #101 : 01 августа 2014, 01:20:10 »
     Для Орландо. Классика, она и есть классика. Культурный код мира! Читается во все времена!

Оффлайн Орландо

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #100 : 31 июля 2014, 19:34:31 »
Sherlock Holmes - Elementary Dear Watson

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson go on a camping trip, set uptheir tent, and fall asleep.
Some hours later, Holmes wakes hisfaithful friend.
- Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see. Watson replies,
- I see millions of stars.
- What does that tell you? Watson ponders for a minute.
- Astronomically speaking, it tells me that there are millions ofgalaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Timewise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three. Theologically, it's evident the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant.Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow.What does it tell you? Holmes is silent for a moment, then speaks. - Watson, you're idiot, someone has stolen our tent.

Оффлайн Орландо

• Ветеран
    • Просмотр профиля
« Ответ #99 : 30 июля 2014, 16:29:43 »
The Legend of the Hound of Baskervilles. Part 1.

an origin — происхождение
    to believe- верить
    a belief — верование, убеждение
    justice — правосудие
    to punish — наказывать

to forgive- прощать
    not to fear the past — не бояться прошлого
    not to loose the evil — не высвободить зло
    wild and godless man - дикий человек, не признающий ничего святого
    cruelty — жестокость

Of the origin of the Hound of the Baskervilles there have been many statements, yet as I come in a direct line from Hugo Baskerville, and as I had the story from my father, who also had it from his father, I have written it down with all belief that it happened . And you, my sons, believe that the same Justice which punishes sin may also forgive it. Learn then from this story not to fear the past, but rather to be careful in the future not to loose the evil to our undoing. Know then that in the old times this Manor of Baskerville was held by Hugo who was a most wild and godless man. His neighbours might have forgiven this, seeing that saints have never lived in those lands, but there was in him a certain cruelty which made his name a notorious one through the West. It happened that this Hugo came to love (if we can call “love” so dark a passion) the daughter of a man who held lands near the Baskerville estate. But the young girl, being of good repute, would ever avoid him, for she feared his evil name. But one day this Hugo, with five or six of his wicked companions, stole down upon the farm and carried off the girl, while her father and brothers were away from home.

The Legend of the Hound of Baskervilles. Part 2.

to bring — привести
    to lock — запереть
    to frighten — испугать
    fear — страх
    to escape — сбежать
    across the moors — через болота
    to cry aloud — громко закричал
    Powers of Evil — Силы зла
    to put the hounds upon her — пустить за ней собак
    in the moonlight — в лунном свете

They brought the girl to the Baskerville Hall and locked her in an upper room, while Hugo and his friends sat down to a long dinner, as they usually did at night. The poor girl upstairs was terribly frightened at the singing and shouting and awful words which came up to her from below. At last in the stress of her fear she got out of the window and went down the wall by the ivy which covered it. Then she ran towards her home across the moors. Some time later Hugo left his guests, went upstairs and found the cage empty and the bird escaped. He became mad, rushing down the stairs into the dining-hall, and cried aloud before all the company that he would that very night give his body and soul to the Powers of Evil if he could catch the girl. One of the companions, more wicked or more drunken than the rest, cried out that they should put the hounds upon her. Hugo ran from the house and gave the hounds a kerchief of the girl’s, and so off they started after her in the moonlight over the moor.